- This event has passed.
Caring For Ourselves While We Care For Others
December 8, 2020 @ 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
Recently, Institute on Aging hosted a panel of experts who spoke on the topic of managing dementia care. On Tuesday, December 8th, IOA welcomes back a few of those panelists—and some caregiver support group guests—as we dive deeper into the topic of Caring for Ourselves While We Care For Others.
Our Returning Panelists are:
– Samara Miller, MFT, Regional Director of Client Services, Home Care & Support Services, Institute on Aging
– Lee Giannone, family caregiver, and member of Samara Miller’s family-caregiver support group
– Alison Moritz, Program Director, Institute on Aging Enrichment Center at the Presidio, who will moderate the virtual panel.
During this time of COVID, the strain of being a caregiver—whether for a loved one or a client—has intensified for many. Caregivers may be struggling with conflicting feelings while performing caregiving tasks, sometimes feeling that emotions and duties are unmanageable. During this 90-minute session, Samara will guide us into a deeper dive around caregiver stressors and consider good practices towards managing them. Samara and Lee will then be joined by a few other members of their support group, rounding out the panel and providing further family-caregiver perspective. We will hear about the panelists’ individual caregiving experiences, including their peer advice for other caregivers.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Name 3 ways in which the current pandemic has increased the strain of being a caregiver
- Practice at least 3 strategies towards self-care while caregiving
- Identify at least 3 challenges that all members of the caregiver panel have in common
Register here! https://ioacaringdecember8.eventbrite.com